Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Jets are a Big Deal!

For most people having the Jets back was a big deal, myself included. Our entire city welcomed back NHL and we were beyond happy. Before we even really had time to let it sink in that the NHL was back after being gone since 1996 we lost our Jets again. The season was put on hold while negotiations took place. We had just got our hockey team back and they were taken away from us. It was a little disappointing to say the least. When negotiations were finally settled it was a huge relief, everyone was just as excited to have hockey again, even if it was a shortened season. 

Tickets to any Winnipeg Jets game are next to impossible to get a hold of, I had little hope that I would actually be able to go see a game, but that all changed. On March 12, 2013 I had the opportunity of a lifetime. I was asked to shoot a Winnipeg Jets game against another canadian team, Toronto Maple Leafs. 





 This was a very exciting experience for me because it was an amazing opportunity. During summer 2012 I was able to photograph on the sidelines at Winnipeg Blue Bomber games. I had definitely learned a lot from those experiences and met a lot of people from it. I think that my experiences shooting at a football game helped with shooting the Jets. One of my favorite things to photograph at the Bomber games other than the game itself were the fans, they were always enthusiastic. Photographing a Jets game, you don't get much opportunity to take pictures of fans but the atmosphere is one of the greatest parts of the game. When the Jets score, or something exciting happens, such as a fight you can't help but cheer along with everyone else in the arena. It's your team, you gotta love em! 


Winnipeg Jets captain Andrew Ladd, and Toronto Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf fighting it out.


I would say I attended a great game, mostly because we won, the final score was 5-2, but also because there was some good fights and tense moments. The two photos above are the captains of the two teams fighting it out. 


Another fight going on between Thorburn and a Leaf player.


Evander Kane is one of the top scores on the Winnipeg Jets and also scored a goal at the game.


Some mid air action going on between Kane and Komarov. 


Byfuglien is probably one of the most well know players on the Winnipeg Jets, and also one of the most popular. He plays defense. He also has 4 goals and 14 assists this season so far!




Blake Wheeler attempting to score on Ben Scrivens. Blake Wheeler has 14 goals this season and 16 assists.



The Jets bringing the puck out of their zone, lead by Tangradi.


This is my favorite shot from the night when Ondrej Pavelec made an awesome save. All in all the game was an awesome experience and very fun to shoot. I'm very thankful to have had this opportunity and would love to do it again someday. I definitely learned a lot from this game and it made me an even bigger Winnipeg Jets fan!

-Alyssa Arnold






No comments:

Post a Comment